How to Start Your Sustainable Agribusiness Organic Farm.
Staring any new venture requires some skills therefore learning is important In Agribusines be it organic farming or any other you must have a plan which will include how to succeed in your new Agri venture. Agribusiness covers all commercial operations in farming and related activities involved in producing, processing and distributing agricultural commodities. At Hadur travels we help farmers to succeed by taking them on learning farm tours where they get practical knowledge and inspirations from expert farmers.
According to Nigeria today – “Organic farming is a method of crop and livestock production that involves much more than choosing not to use pesticides, fertilizers, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics and growth hormones. Organic production is a holistic system designed to optimize the productivity and fitness of diverse communities within the agro-ecosystem, including soil organisms, plants, livestock and people. The principal goal of organic production is to develop enterprises that are sustainable and harmonious with the environment.”
According to expert opinion the right location with favorable weather is key to starting an organic farm. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the united Nations says –
‘As global temperatures rise and weather patterns become more erratic, the intersection between climate change and agriculture is crucial to understanding the role agriculture plays in contributing to and mitigating global warming. Carbon sequestration, lower-input of fossil fuel dependent resources, and use of renewable energy all present opportunities for organic agriculture to lead the way in reducing energy consumption and mitigating the negative effects of energy emissions. Organic agriculture provides management practices that can help farmers adapt to climate change through strengthening agro-ecosystems, diversifying crop and livestock production, and building farmers’ knowledge base to best prevent and confront changes in climate.
Another important source to a successful organic farm is finding land with fertile soil, good quality water and good drainage such farmland should be free of fertiliser and pesticide residues for at least three years . Quora.com, says the key elements that constitute organic farming include:
• Living soil which comprise of beneficial microorganisms and macro organisms.
• Another crucial factor is soil enrichment using natural amendments only such as compost, green manure, vermi composting and lime
• Multi-cropping, that is, planting different seasonal crops simultaneously on the same farmland to maintain plant diversity.
• Since synthetic chemicals are not to be used, crop rotation becomes necessary in organic farming to break disease cycle peculiar to certain crop specie
• Local sourcing of crops that are indigenous to the region or produced locally is also another key point of organic farming, it reduces environmental footprints
• Seed propagation should be a standard practice to be able to get seeds free of chemical treatment. Chemically treated seeds need to be washed thoroughly before planting
• For natural pest control, organic farmers may use mixture of natural ingredients like neem and other natural bio-pesticides
• Mulching using natural leaves and vegetation to cover the soil is a common practice in organic farming .
• Agricultural Machinery and the use of heavy Farm machines for farming activity is highly discouraged in organic agriculture.
We invite you to join us once again in July as we take Agri Business enthusiasts to Songhai farm In Port Novo to learn about organic farming, waste management, sustainable agriculture and much more as new and aspiring farmers.